"I started the site when I was 19. I didn't know much about business back then." Mark Zukerberg
Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is an American computer programmer.
He is best known for co-creating the social networking site Facebook, of which he is chief executive and president. It was co-founded as a private company in 2004 by Zuckerberg and classmates Dustin Moskovitz,Eduardo Saverin, and Chris Hughes while they were students at Harvard University.In 2010, Zuckerberg was honored as Person of the Year in Times Magazines.
Zuckerberg was born in 1984 in New York. His mother Karen, a psychiatrist, and father Edward Zuckerberg, a dentist. Zuckerberg described himself as an atheist.
In 2000 he went Ardsley High School, Zuckerberg had excelled in the classics before transferring to Phillips Exeter Academy in his junior year.
On Zuckerberg's Facebook page , he listed his favorite quotations:
"Fortune favors the bold."
Virgil, Aeneid X.284
"All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up."
- Pablo Picasso
"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler."
- Albert Einstein
Mark Zuckerberg in Harvard
Mark Zuckerberg enrolled at Harvard University in September 2002. .
By the time he began classes at Harvard, he had already achieved a "reputation as a programming prodigy,". In his sophomore year, he developed a program called CourseMatch, which allowed users to make class selection decisions based on the choices of other students. later, he created a another program called Facemash that let students select the best looking person from a choice of photos. According to Zuckerberg's roommate at the time, Arie Hasit, "he built the site for fun." The movie Social Networks picturized this facemash.
With increasing popularity of site had overwhelmed Harvard's server and prevented students from accessing the Internet. In addition, many students complained that their photos were being used without permission.
Timeline of Facebook
At the time of Facemash, however, students were requesting that the university develop an internal website
"Mark come to know these pleas and decided that if the university won't do something about it, he will, and he would build a site that would be even better than what the university had planned."
- 2004: Zuckerberg start working on Facebook.
- January 11, 2004: Zuckerberg registers thefacebook.com domain.
- February 4, 2004: Zuckerberg launches Facebook.
- March 2004: Facebook expands out to University.
- April 13, 2004: Zuckerberg,Dustin Moskovitz, and Eduardo Saverin form Thefacebook.com LLC, a partnership.
- June 2004: Facebook receives its first investment from Peter Thiel for US$500,000.
- June 2004: Facebook moves its base of operations to California.
- May 26, 2005:Accel Partners invests $13 million into Facebook.
- July 19, 2005:News Corp acquires MySpace, spurring rumors about the possible sale of Facebook to a larger media company.
- August 23, 2005: Facebook acquires Facebook.com domain for $200,000.
- September 2006: Facebook discusses with Yahoo! about the latter possibly acquiring the former, for $1 billion.
- September 26, 2006: Facebook is open to everyone aged 13 and over, and with a valid email address.
- October 2008: Facebook sets up its international headquarters in Dublin,Ireland.
- August 2009: Facebook acquires FriendFeed.
- September 2009: Facebook claims that it has turned cash flow positive for the first time.
- April 2, 2010: Facebook announces the acquisition of photo-sharing service called Divvyshot for an undisclosed amount.
- April 19, 2010: Facebook introduces Community Pages, which are Pages that are populated with articles from Wikipedia.
- October 1, 2010:The Social Network, a film about the beginnings of Facebook directed by David Fincher is released. The film is met with widespread critical acclaim as well as commercial success; however, Mark Zuckerberg says that the film is a largely inaccurate account of what happened.
- June 2011: Facebook partners with Skype to add video chat.
- September 22, 2011: Facebook launches new UITimelinein F8 Convention.
- October 10, 2011: Facebook launches iPad app.
- December 21, 2011: Facebook log in page changes due to Facebook Timeline addition.
- December 22, 2011: Facebook launches its new profile user interface, Facebook Timeline.
Related Links :